History

//History

2017

Franklin First UMC continues to grow with the addition of new new groups, programs and ways to reach the community for Christ.

2015

On December 6, 2015 the congregation of Franklin First UMC moved to the new Main Campus at Mack Hatcher. The Historic Sanctuary at 5th Avenue has remained a center for worship on Sunday mornings.

2007

On February 9, 2007, 107 acres of land on Mack Hatcher was purchased for the future home of Franklin First UMC.

1997

On June 29, 1997, the Education-Activities Center was consecrated. This 37,000 square foot building marked a new era in the ministry of historic Franklin First UMC.

1995

The historic sanctuary was refurbished, the bell tower was restored, and the steeple, destroyed in the 1920s, was replaced.

1968

The historic Kenneday House (built in 1835) was acquired from church members; it was used for church offices until our move to the Main Campus in 2015.

1949

A basement hall, which seated 200, was constructed under the historic sanctuary.

1916

The adjoining annex was added containing 15 Sunday School rooms.

1871

The present historic sanctuary was completed and services soon began. The membership at that time was 238.

1869

The present triangular lot at 5th Avenue and Church Street was acquired by the decree of Chancery Court in April, 1869.

1829

The church purchased land and soon moved to the northeast corner of 2nd Avenue and Church Street.

1812

A “Methodist Society” was organized in Franklin and a brick building raised on the east side of 1st Avenue at the end of Church Street.

1799

Land for a Methodist church was provided by Franklin founder Abram Maury at the time of the city’s founding, making this the oldest worshipping congregation in Franklin and Williamson County.